The course builds on Economie de l’environnement (ECO572) (taught in autumn). The objective is to familiarize students with the way economists analyse environmental issues and environmental policies. It will relate to important current policy challenges: climate change, growth and the environment, green technology diffusion, recycling policies…
Students will learn:
– the main models of growth, innovation and technology diffusion ;
– the optimal design of policies to reduce pollution (tax, emission permit markets, norms, subsidies) and how to analyse policies actually implemented (the role of institutions);
– the strategic aspects of climate policy (the optimal choice between mitigation and adaptation);
– the methods for analysing distributional effects of environmental taxes (empirical studies of environmental justice);
– how to model the influence of environmental preferences and the interaction between environmental policies and social norms ;
– how to build a model to think about a particular environmental issue.