Superheroes are hallmarks of American culture, and they have echoed, reflected upon and even impacted modern western society for almost a century now. From the page to the screen, this course will study the political and historical, as well as ethical and philosophical aspects of characters which, under close scrutiny, prove to be anything but one-dimensional.
- From mythology to modern times: the dawn of superheroes
- Superheroes and history: from the Great Recession to 9/11
- ‘Is Superman a democrat?’ From politics to propaganda
- A reflection of society: superheroes and the gender issue
- Watchmen: the twilight of superpowers?
Students will be required to participate actively in class, complete regular reading assignments, and write one essay.